Thursday, November 20, 2014

Memory: Part 4

This excerpt is from RDI Consultant Linda Murphy in her 4-part series on Episodic Memory, taken from RDI Connect:


"As children form relationships with their peers, they use their episodic memory to create stories of developing friendships as well as narratives of themselves as desirable play partners. This is a process that unfolds over time as children have repeated opportunities to play with others in increasingly dynamic situations. Early on in peer interactions, all children are concerned with the immediate gratification that comes from events such as going first, playing what they want to play, winning a game and using a toy when they want to use it. However, as children get practice in the realm of peer dynamics, they come to observe unwritten rules and subtle yet ever present patterns:

* Sometimes I win, sometimes my friend wins.

* Sometimes I go first, but sometimes my friend does.

* Sometimes we play what I want to play, but sometimes we play what my friend wants to play.

* I can use a toy that I want to use, but it is also important to take turns and share.

Parents and teachers help to teach these lessons both directly and indirectly and over time, children come to trust that even though they did not get to go first this time, they will probably get to go first another time. Or even though their game was not chosen this time, it will most likely be chosen in the near future."


How does your child do with this? Click here to read the entire article.

No comments:

Post a Comment